What is sciatic nerve? A lot of people with sciatica do not understand what is the sciatic nerve.
The sciatic nerve starts at the base of your spine in the lumber area with 5 different nerves that come out of the spinal cord. They then join into one large nerve and runs down the buttock, hip, thigh, leg, foot and into the feet. The sciatic nerve is the longest and widest peripheral nerve in the entire body. The sciatic nerve can be as thick a mans thumb. As the nerve continues down it will seperate and divide into 2 smaller nerves that run down the thighs and legs.
What is Sciatic Nerve Branches
There are 2 branches to the sciatic nerve. One is called the articular branch and the other is the muscular branches
- The articular branches come from the upper part of the nerve. It supplies the hip joint with motor and sensory nerves
- The muscular branches distrubute the nerves to the muscles of the lower limbs. It gives them sensitivity and strength
The ѕсiаtіc nerve provides the motor and sensory nerves for the posterior thighs, legs, feet and parts of the hip
What Is Sciatic Nerve Purpose
The purpose of the sciatic nerve is to receive sensation and give strength to the thighs and legs. The nerves and muscles work together and this encourages strength in the legs and thigh area
Identifying What is the Sciatic Nerve Pain
The pain from sciatica can start from the lower spine (lumber). It man then travelling down into the buttocks, hip, thigh, leg and into feet and toes. You may feel the pain anywhere along the sciatic nerve pathway. The main areas of pain is from the lower back to the thigh.
The pain can vary greatly from a mild discomfort to a agonising sharp pain. Usually sciatica occurs on one side of the body but not always.
Sciatia can last for a short time and then disappear or it can be a reoccurring conditions.
What Is Sciatic Nerve Symptoms
- Muscle weakness
What Is Sciatic Nerve Treatment
- There are many ways to treat sciatic pain. The treatment depends on the severity of the condition and cause. As each person may be different and have varying degrees of pain and symptoms.
- Bed rest is recommended by some doctors for a mild case of sciatica. The rest will relieve the strain and swelling on and around the sciatic nerve.
- Gently appropiate exercise can help to resolve a mild case of sciatica and build strength.
- Over the counter medication can reduce swelling and relieve spams.
- Hot and cold packs to reduce swelling and get the blood circulating.
- Water Therapy
Finding answers will help you explore treatments and options for sciatica and to see what is sciatic nerve